Everyone at HFA hopes that you had a relaxing holiday season and are preparing for a terrific 2020.
The following is a list of key documents that should be returned to us, or brought in for your meeting with us:
- A copy of your 2018 and 2019 federal and state tax returns, if not prepared by this firm
- Form(s) W-2 (wages, etc.) or W2G (gambling)
- Form 1095-A, 1095-B or 1095-C regarding health care coverage
- Form(s) 1099 (interest, nontaxable municipal bond interest, dividends, pensions, etc.)
- Schedule(s) K-1 (income/loss from partnerships, S corporations or trusts)
- Forms 1098 (mortgage interest) and 1098-T (college tuition)
- Brokerage statements reflecting investment income and sales of securities (1099-B)
- Closing statements pertaining to real estate transactions (buy, sell, loan, refinancing, etc.)
- Any tax notices received from the IRS, Franchise Tax Board or other taxing authorities
We ask that you provide us with all of your tax information by March 21, 2020, in order to complete your return by the deadline; otherwise, it may be necessary to file an extension. The automatic extension is six months for those requesting additional time to file. Payment of the proper estimate of your tax liability should be made with the extension by April 15, 2020, in order to alleviate any charges from the IRS for interest and penalties. Filing an extension is easy and it ensures that we have enough time to review and complete your tax return if you’re unable to get us all the information we need before the tax deadline. Our office will be preparing extensions prior to April 1, 2020, to assure timely filing.
We have created a blank organizer for your convenience or you can request one here that will include prior year data.
The Client Organizer helps our staff to accurately prepare your income tax returns, and also identify tax deductions or credits that may be available to you. It is therefore important that you fill in the Client Organizer as completely as possible and return it to us with all of your income tax documents and information. If we prepared your tax return last year, prior year data is included in the organizer for your reference.
Request an Organizer Here: